Fernando Alonso: Two-time System 1 champion concerned in highway accident whereas biking
Fernando Alonso will return to Formula 1 in March
Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso was involved in a traffic accident while cycling in Switzerland.
The Spaniard, who is returning to Formula 1 this season after a two-year absence, is “conscious and in good shape” according to his alpine team.
Alpine said Alonso would have further medical exams on Friday without confirming whether he was in the hospital.
Sources close to Alonso say he was hit by a car near his home in Lugano and that he has a broken jaw.
It is said that he will be brought to Bern, where there is a special unit that deals with such injuries.
The incident raises questions about whether Alonso can start the season in Bahrain next month.
Pre-season testing will take place in Bahrain from March 12-14, and before the first race on March 26-28.
Alonso, winner of 32 Grand Prix and World Champions in 2005 and 2006, left F1 in late 2018 after four seasons with an uncompetitive McLaren to pursue other interests in racing.
In the past two years he has achieved a second consecutive victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the title of the World Endurance Championship with Toyota, competed twice in the Indianapolis 500 and took part in the Dakar Rally.
He said he was returning to Formula 1 because he loves to drive and compete, and he hopes Alpine, the former Renault team, will be competitive when new technical rules are introduced in 2022.
The team took three podiums last year, two for Daniel Ricciardo, now at McLaren, and one for Esteban Ocon, who will be Alonso’s team-mate in 2021.
Alonso has already missed the start of the season due to an injury.
When he returned to McLaren in 2015, he suffered a concussion in an accident in pre-season testing and was forced to skip the first race in Australia while he recovered.
Comments are closed.